Aliases: None known
Location: London, Ontario
Education: University of Waterloo, B.A.; University of Chicago, Ph.D., near Eastern languages & civilizations, 1999
Occupation: Islamic studies chair, Huron College, Ontario; trustee and former president, ISNA (2006-2010); trustee of ISNA North American Islamic Trust subsidiary (which receives most of its funding from Saudi Arabia. Former head of Islamic Chaplaincy at Connecticut's Hartford Seminary and former professor at MacDonald Center for Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations.
Suspicious and/or Hostile Activities:
- Supports advocates of universal Islamic law, including late Pakistani Muslim Brother and jihadist Maulana Abu A'la Maududi, whose 1980 Jihad in Islam exclaimed, “Islam wishes to destroy all states and governments anywhere on the face of the earth which are opposed to the ideology and programme of Islam regardless of the country or the Nation which rules it.”
- Trustee to the unindicted NAIT co-conspirator in Holy Land Foundation terror funding case.
- Falsely claims Islamic violence not motivated by Islamic theology
- Falsely claims no Islamic terror sleeper exist cells in U.S.
- Inaccurately describes Wahhabbism as a “reform movement” not an Islamic sect.
- Presents false veneer of Islamic tolerance; sees self-defense against Islamic terror criminal.
Current position: Islamic studies chair, Huron College, Ontario
Ties to other groups/individuals: Intricately tied to ISNA and NAIT, lead North American MB organizations. Heavily involved in training militant Islamic prison and military chaplains
Connection to MB: Active in North American and global MB programs
Complete Documentation For: Ingrid Mattson