NAME: The Muslim American Society
Budget: 2009, $4.6 million; 2005-2009, $8.9 million
Funding sources: 2009, $4.5 million in “contributions and grants” (includes $186,000 “membership dues,” $4.3 million in unspecified “contributions, gifts, grants and similar amounts”) plus $85,000 in interest, dividends, securities, rents and royalties;
Goals: “To serve religious, educational and social needs of local [Muslim] communities”
Suspicious and/or Hostile Activities:
- MAS co-founder Jamal Badawi is an unindicted co-conspirator in Holy Land Foundation trial.
- MAS trustee Esam Omeish in 2001 hired late, U.S.-born cleric and al Qaeda fugitive Anwar al-Awlaki as imam Dar al-Hijrah mosque in Falls Church, Va.
- MAS ties closely to ICNA, U.S. face of designated terrorist group Jamaat-e-Islami (JI).
- MAS president Ahmed Elbendary and Freedom executive director Mahdi Bray attended a Sept. 2010 New York MB summit with accused 1971 genocide chief Mohammad Ashrafuzzaman Khan, a 1971 al-Badr unit chief under JI secretary general Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojahid.
- In 1998, Boston MAS v.p. Abdul-Badi Abousamra hired Muhammad Masood (brother of Pakistani LeT founder Hafiz Muhammad Saeed) when he was illegally in the U.S.
- In 2006, imam Abdul Hannan, of Islamic Societies of Greater Lowell and Greater Manchester, and brother-in-law of Saeed and Masood, was arrested for alleged religious worker visa fraud.
- Hamas leader Mohammed al-Hanooti, an unindicted co-conspirator in the 1993 World Trade attack, was MAS-MB imam from 1995 to 1999 at Dar al-Hijrah mosque in Falls Church, Va.
- Former MAS p.r. director Randall Todd “Ismail” Royer is serving 20 years for conspiring with Pakistan's Lashkar-i-Taiba (LeT) in Virginia to attack in Chechnya and India's Kashmir.
- On Aug. 20, 2004, officials arrested MAS-MB Dar al-Hijrah mosque co-founder Ismail Selim Elbarasse --- ex-partner of deported, Syria-based Hamas deputy chief Mousa Mohammed Abu Marzook --- for casing the Chesapeake Bridge and allegedly raising funds for Hamas.
- In Jun. 2007, Worcester Islamic Center imam Hamid Mahmood (a brother of Masood) fled the U.S. with his wife and five children. He obtained a visitors' visa in 2001 to attend a Harvard Islamic financing conference but previously ran an LeT terrorist safe house in Lahore.
- In 2007, former Howard Univ. professor and Dar al-Hijrah executive committee member Abelhaleem Hasan Abdelraziq Ashqar was convicted of obstructing justice for refusing to testify about Hamas. In 2004, Ashqar was indicted --- with deported Hamas political deputy Abu Marzook --- for 15 years of alleged Hamas fund raising and racketeering. He was later convicted for obstructing justice sentenced to over 11 years.
Key Leaders: Co-founder Jamal Badawi (appointed to lead North American MB board by former global MB chief Mahdi Akef); MAS Freedom head, Muslim convert, ex-SDS radical, ex-MPAC political chief and three-time larceny and drug felon Madhi Bray; Libyan MAS president Esam Omeish; MAS co-founder Mohamad Adam El Sheikh, a Sudanese sharia judge, FCNA executive director and Dar al Hijrah imam from 2003 to 2005; president Ahmed Elbendary; Zahid Bukhari, ICNA President, former ICNA Secretary General and co-founder of the Islamic Shura Council.
Connection to MB and MB organizations: Through its founders, current leaders and activities, MAS is connected to virtually every other Muslim Brotherhood organization in North America, including ICNA, ISNA, CAIR, MSA, and of course the global Muslim Brotherhood.
Projects: MAS regularly engages in political and subversive activity to advance the Muslim Brotherhood sharia supremacy goals.
Complete Documentation For: MAS
Do you like this page?