NAME: Omar Hammami
Aliases: Abu Mansour al Amriki
Location: Horn of Africa
Education: Studied briefly at University of South Alabama, but did not graduate.
Occupation: Leader of Shabaab jihad militia belonging to al Qaeda in Somalia.
Suspicious and/or Hostile Activities:
- Strongly advocates establishment of strict, Taliban-life sharia regime in Africa and worldwide
- In East Africa late 2006, connected with al Qaeda chief Fazul Abdullah Mohammed (aka Haroun Fazul) and Somalia al Qaeda chief Saleh Ali Saleh Nabhan (d. Jan. 2007 and Sept. 2009, respectively)--- masterminds of 1998 Nairobi and Dar es Salaam U.S. Embassy bombings that killed 301 people, maimed over 5,080.
- Federally indicted for terrorism and aiding terrorists on Sept. 4, 2009.
- Al-Shabaab (meaning “the youth”) recruits impoverished Somali children with $400 bribes to feed their starving families.
- Al-Shabaab recruited many Americans --- from Boston, Columbus, Minneapolis, San Diego, Seattle and Toronto--- and others from the U.K. And Australia, several killed in suicide attacks in recent years.
- After bin Laden's May 2011 termination, Hammami called a near Mogadishu, promising his al-Shabab mujahadeen were “committed to launch more attacks in retaliation
Current position: Active, wanted jihadi militia leader in Somalia, Horn of Africa
Ties to other groups/individuals: Presumably studied Islam at the Mobile, K-12 Imam Academy of his Syrian Muslim father Shafik Hammami, who since at least 2005 has been president of Islamic Society of Mobile. Served as president of Muslim Students Association at South Alabama university.
Connection to MB: Directly tied to al Qaeda, an organization spawned by Muslim Brotherhood
Complete Documentation For: Omar Hammami
Do you like this page?